I’m cheating with this post as it isn’t about an item bought in a charity shop. Bear with me though, because it is of relevance to charity shop finds. Let me explain…
Earlier this week I used chalk paint to upcycle a table I have had for years and years. The table was chipped in places, and had a few faint cup rings on it, so the time had come to choose between sprucing it up or taking it to the tip. To be honest, I didn’t fancy adding to the piles of wood in skips, as I don’t know what happens to the furniture that ends up there.
Due to the heatwave I had the opportunity to use my garden as a workshop.
I wasn’t sure if chalk paint would work on the table, as it had a sort of vinyl, shiny finish. I had used chalk paint a few times before, but only on ‘proper’ wood, like photo frames. It was worth a try though, so out this pot came.
I’ll be honest, the table wasn’t nearly as easy to paint as the photo frames had been, which I think was due to the furniture’s glossy finish. Whereas the frames soaked up the paint quickly, meaning only a small quantity was required, the paint kind of shifted around on the table, leaving patches of brown showing. Perhaps I should have sanded the table down before applying the paint, (I’m no expert in such things, so really don’t know). I learned pretty rapidly that this meant quite a few coats would be needed, to produce a built-up finish.
I didn’t time myself, but I’d say the whole thing was done and dusted in less than four hours. My aim had been to get a shabby-chic finish, with a streaked effect, and I’m happy with the end product. Not bad for a complete novice, if I do say so myself!
(The coasters, in case of interest, are from John Lewis).
To bring this back to charity shop finds… Having a go with chalk paint has made confident that I could upcycle a charity shop find, whether that be wooden shelves, an occasional table, or a dining chair. I’ve heard that chalk paint isn’t the most hardwearing of finishes, but I presume I’ll be able to add a few more coats if/ when required. Given the table could have ended up at the tip, I’m sure I can put up with the need for a bit of maintenance.